Autoflowering Seeds
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Head Shop Terminology Guide

Thanks

Arrow Head Shop Terminology Guide

Okay, so I know this can be a subject that is hard to find info on sometimes. I just thought I could try to help out and encourage others to spread advise out for those wondering or are clueless on this sometimes touchy situation in head shops.

Note: These are most common in states where cannabis is NOT decriminalized and drug paraphernalia is therefor, a sometimes risky trade.

Bongs: In some head shops, you can be thrown out for using the word "bong" because it refers directly to the consumption of cannabis, and the owner/owners may get defensive about this fearing that it will be their ass. Unless you know the staff well enough, don't use the word bong. One term I have heard used is "water pipe", and in some areas, it's the only term accepted for bongs as it has an implied use for tobacco. Another term I have heard around here used frequently is "vases". I am not 100% that this applies everywhere but it is generally accepted and the staff will know what you are taking about immediately.

Bubblers: This is a much more difficult term to get around. Usually you can just say bubbler and you'll be fine, but if your worried than just try the "what about this" method and see what they call it. I have heard bubblers referred to as a "wet piece" once or twice, but I think thats going overboard personally. Like I said, bubbler is a generally accepted term. There isn't a lot of other words to describe it.

Joint papers: First of all, every person who smokes should have the common sense not to ask for "joint" or "rolling papers" if cannabis is outlawed in your area. You will be most likely refused service if it is not accepted and the staff is strict on terms. An always safe alternative is "cigarette papers" or "tobacco papers". Or if you know the brand name just ask for that (Zig Zag papers for example).

Digital/hand scales: Your best bet (if they are stocked) is to ask for a measuring scale. Not really that hard. Just don't go saying "digi" or ask about how much weed it will weigh at once.

Pipes: Pipes.

Detox kits/drinks: These can be touchy. "Cleansing" is a key word sometimes. Usually you just say detox, just don't mentioning what you are detoxing for or ask if thc will still show up on your piss test.

^^^

If cannabis is decriminalized in your state or your area is familiar with MMJ in the mainstream then you can basically skip all of this and just call it whatever you want.

Some head shops call it bongs ect. or whatever because they're just cool or like that. It really depends on the shop or staff, sometimes all of this is unnecessary, but it really sucks getting kicked out of a shop that was intended for exactly what you planned to buy. :asshat:

This is all for now, if anyone else has more, please post. More may be to come.

All of this was personally typed FOR YOU. Hope this helps :gethigh:
    I know you are here to kill me. Shoot, coward, you are only going to kill a man. -Che Guevara

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 988 Posts

all depends where you are. Here in BC, anyone can say bong in the store and most terms. The proper paraphernalia terminology is the most screwed up. People have weird names for everything.

A bong is a two piece (bong/bowl) water cooling pipe.

A bubbler is a bong without a detachable bowl.

A bowl is an insertion piece for a bong which contains a space for your cannabis.

A stem is the piece the bowl fits into and inserts below the water line.

A paper is well a rolling paper, different brands use different fibers. (Elements=Rice paper+sucrose, Raw Organic= Hemp, Zig Zag Blues= Tree Paper etc.)

Ash catcher is a bong attachment piece that adds a second stage of cooling smoke and collecting material.

An Oil Dome or glass dome is a bong attachment that consists of an upside down funnel in which concentrates are burned/vaporized than collected

Vaporizers use heat to reach certain temperatures to release psychoactive molecules. They come in many kinds and styles. Butane operated, battery operated, AC power operated. They come in tower, box, and hand held designs.

For drug testing there are detox kits/masks

Detox kits actually remove toxins and other foreign molecules from your body

Masks just cover up and adhere to cannabinoids so they dont show up.

Synthetic Urine is manufactures urine containing urea, vitamin B, creatine, protein, etc. (Can be detectable by labs if they search hard enough)

Testing threshold is usually 50 mg, those U Tests you get at head shops tests at 25 mg.

Science adjusts its views based on what's observed, Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.

BILL HICKS (Dec. 19 1961-Feb 26 1994)

PaintTheWallsGreen Guest

A few things.

Water pipe refers to both "bongs" and "bubblers". Use handheld water pipe for bubblers.

Rolling papers is an acceptable term, it says it on the packaging.

I have never heard the term vases and some headshops second as glass studios, and may actually sell vases :gethigh:

If you want to be really carful. Call them art pieces. They are technically Blown Glass Art Pieces.

Also ask for a kitchen scale. I leave mine out and use it for that at home :P.

Good luck to anyone venturing to their local headshops

Thanks

Very useful information here :)

Thanks

If this helps anyone, please feel free to say.

Thanks

useful stuff man what is the proper term for a bowl not as in a pipe as in just the bowl for a pipe i need a new one lol
    also what is the term for a lid that screw into the bowl

so pretty much i need

and
    Last edited by .reservedXD; 06-28-2010 at 08:28 PM.

PaintTheWallsGreen Guest

Ask them for a screw-top piece. If possible, just clean out your bowl and show them what you need. Or print the pictures out so long as they dont have weed references.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,285 Times in 2,071 Posts

I would never, ever bring a piece into a headshop. Clean or not. I worked at one, granted over a decade ago, but that would get someone kicked out as fast as saying weed or bong.
    Quote Originally Posted by 024amelbahc View Post
    i want a bunch of money and material objects that will make me happy for a short amount of time, and then i want to burn all of it when i die so no one else can have it.

click to view fire child's time lapse BHO extraction|---->> http://youtu.be/uw9x9MvXCf0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fire child View Post
    I would never, ever bring a piece into a headshop. Clean or not. I worked at one, granted over a decade ago, but that would get someone kicked out as fast as saying weed or bong.
    even if you said it was for tobacco use only?

PaintTheWallsGreen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fire child View Post

See I had a bong with a rubber grommet, standard (not glass-on-glass) slider, and the downstem cracked. They...very carefully asked if it was clean (I had cleaned it so I said yes) and they told me to bring it in. That was in MD, which is still fairly strict about their MJ Laws.

I stress the piece must be CLEAN, I mean, spotless essentially.

+ Reply to Thread